Sunday, July 16, 2006

Ah, yes, so that's why I hated tournaments. Play good for hours, beat 80+% of the field, then suffer a bad beat or two and bingo bango busto, all that time and effort is wasted with no return.

I played in both the Stars and Full Tilt WSOP tournaments and got nowhere. And since I was on such a tournament kick, I played in Party's million guaranteed and Stars' Sunday second-chance tourney. No interesting hands in any of those four and nothing really to say other than that I misplayed a few hands overall and got unlucky one time too many in each tourney.

5 hours and about $1300 down the drain. And for some reason, I'm still considering one of the $1500 NL events in the WSOP. Someone crack me over the head with a shovel or something.

Thankfully, I did do very well in cash games today. Between cash games and tournies I logged 9.5 hours of play, all online. My brain is fried. So fried, it actually helped me dig my way out of a hole the last hour. Here's a hand I played on auto-pilot daze during that last, uber-profitable hour (on pokerroom so I have no hand history; you'll just have to take my word for it):

I'm multitabling and have just sat in the only $600NL game going on pokerroom, to go along with my mess of $400NL tables. I post my big blind. One limper and then the button raises. I see I have pocket fours and so I call. Only then do I realize that the button didn't just do a standard raise, he had gone all in for nearly $450! Seriously, $3 SB, $6 BB, $6 limp, so $15 in the pot, and he made it about $450 to go. And me, acting quickly with 6 tables going, I call almost instantly without a second thought. I wonder what they all must have thought when they see my 44 and how quickly and casually I called an all-in with them.

But anyways, I'm slapping my forehead and groaning, but my groans turn to cheers as the board comes Q-high and my opponent shows unimproved AK. Woohoo! That's how to play poker!

Now if only I could win my coin flips in a tournament setting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous stonemender said...

Actually I rather enjoy tourneys. The multi table ones have more of a time factor, so like to play sit-n-go tables. But then I play for enjoyment and not for a living...and anything over 10 bucks to get in, forget it.

The tourney setting tends to even everyone out. To win a tourney you normally need to take a few coin flips (or close) along the way.

I played in a play money multi table tourney on party poker last week. 2902 people in it. when I made the final table, I was 10th in chips (last place) having never been put all in up to this point.
But then I had to go all in at some point being the chip wimp.

Tourneys offer a huge payoff for little investment, but the cash games have a much lower standard deviation..and a much greater sample size, both of which favor the better player long term.

9:08 AM  
Blogger eric said...

Tourneys offer a huge payoff for little investment

Or, as in my case, no payoff for a huge investment.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous bil said...

Or, in the case of a play money tourney, no payoff for no investment.

Seriously, what would have been your minimum PP for calling such a ridiculous overbet? Sure, I'll guess--why not?

Jacks.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally off the subject.. but Have you considered day trading? With as much as you analyze, what would be the cons compared to poker? I like your posts. Good stuff.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Evan said...

Anon--

I'll give a guess at why Eric hasn't daytraded: comparative advantage.

4:05 AM  
Blogger eric said...

minimum PP to call that bet? With the knowledge I had at the time (first hand) KK probably. But actually that table was supercrazyfuckingnuts as I found out quickly enough, so given how it played perhaps QQ or JJ, too. Or TT or 99...I really dunno. But not 44 no matter how crazy.

It took me fewer than 10 hands to quadruple up as I found out the game was just an all-in bluff-fest. I hit top pair and called my whole stack to be shown...top pair, worse kicker. I hit a flush and called an all-in to be shown...A-high. I hit a set and called big bets to the river, where my opponent finally folded to my all-in raise. I assume he must have had middle-pair given he used up all his time to think before folding. After that, the game tightened up, mostly because the three lunatics had almost no more money left to throw around.

As for daytrading, that seems to be a much, much riskier proposition. I haven't looked into it much, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a higher-variance, lower expectation endeavor than poker is for me for the vast majority of participants. Anyone feel free to correct me on that. And "I know this one guy who made $50,000 in one day, once" is about as useful as "my friend is awesome at online poker, he made $1000 last night!"

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Evan said...

My answer was pithier! ;)

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home