Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I made an interesting choice today.

I went to the gym, which is nothing new. I lifted weights as usual, got a protein shake as usual, came home and showered, as usual. I have a friend in town, so we went out to eat, also fairly typical. Nothing interesting there.

But the confluence of events left me in a slightly unusal situation. Because of the exercise I was hungry, and because the exercise was weight-lifting specifically, I was hungry for something serious. Some people may not know, but I'm a vegetarian. But quite frankly, vegetables are not "serious" enough for a guy fresh out of the weight room with testosterone pumping through his veins. The veggie wrap just ain't gonna cut it. At home, I don't have a choice to even consider meat, but this wasn't home.

The restaurant we chose didn't have the largest vegetarian selection, and what they did have was the same stuff I always eat--the aforementioned veggie wrap, omelets, pasta. Bleh.

But look over to the left of the menu, under burgers. Big Angus Beef Burger. With mushrooms. Wow, that sounds good. I haven't had one of those in nearly four years.

And so all these typical events added up to a very non-typical choice--I went with the big honkin' mushroom burger. And loved it.

So I dunno what this means, whether I'm done with being veggie or if this was just temporary, or what. I always said that I was only veggie as long as I didn't want to eat meat, but the second I really wanted to I'd do it. Well, I did it.

Perhaps I'm the only one who really cares.

9 Comments:

Anonymous stonemender said...

Uh oh.. if you broke a strict vegetarian diet with a *big* burger, be prepared for the aftermath that will come 24-48 hours later.

Stomach cramps will be optional, but lets just say that you should take a book to the bathroom with you. Next time start with beef broth so your body can learn to digest that stuff again.

/vegetarian for 5+ years long ago.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous stonemender said...

Uh oh.. if you broke a strict vegetarian diet with a *big* burger, be prepared for the aftermath that will come 24-48 hours later.

Stomach cramps will be optional, but lets just say that you should take a book to the bathroom with you. Next time start with beef broth so your body can learn to digest that stuff again.

/vegetarian for 5+ years long ago.

7:08 AM  
Blogger jjok said...

without going into the problems stone is talking about, I'd have to say that I am impressed.

4 years of vegetarianism is more than alot of people could stand......

7:39 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

And you asked me why I was going all carnivore last time I visited. It's good!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting. All the people I know from college, who became veggies around
the same time I did, gave it up around the 10 year mark. I've been the only
one who stuck it out, now at year 15. I have never craved meat, since
maybe the first few months, though I can't seriously recall even any pangs
for it then.

Maybe you should examine the reasons you became a vegetarian? If it doesn't
make sense for you any more, there's no reason to limit yourself this way.
Just don't become one of those, "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish" guys...
Or maybe do. (poker pun intended) ;-)

11:57 AM  
Blogger g3no said...

Why did you become a vegetarian in the first place? Animal cruelty, Health reasons, because its cool,wife wants you to,..,
For me it goes: If the food doesent move anymore i will eat it.

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROGER CLEMENS NOT GREATEST EVER. OLD HOSS RADBOURNE GREATEST EVER. HE PITCH BETTER THAN YOU.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info how big is a regular penis Bdsm clarke college Cause hair loss male Mature 21 Propecia generica Upskirt no pantys big hairy man penis cooking schools morocco Folic acid and vitamins and high black men with big penis in jail Call centers in the philippines more http://www.infiniti-auto-2.info A.l.i.a.s game Nebraska bextra class action lawsuit Black menn with large dicks

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home