Wednesday, March 01, 2006

February was definitely a tale of two months. The first half sucked. The second half was amazing. Overall, it was a decent month. Which I'll more than take considering halfway through I thought I was looking at another losing month.

I tore up the cash games the last half, I think having a record two-week run in cash games. Overall, for cash games I actually matched my pretty good January, despite essentially moving down in limits from 30/60 full to 20/40 6max (and only after having a 300BB downswing at 30/60 the first week of the month). I guess doing similarly well shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. That's just how soft the 20/40 games are.

No, what made this month only decent rather than pretty good were trying MTTs and not doing overly well. I did fine in the few $22 and $55 online events I entered, but I air-balled the $109, $215, and $378 events I entered (admittedly not an overwhelming number of them). Oh yeah, there was also that $1500 rebuy event at the LA Poker Classic at the Commerce that ended up costing me $7580.

The last MTT I tried was Sunday's $750K guaranteed on Party, a $378 event ($350 + $28). I busted in the first quarter of the field, on a stupid donkey play from a result of playing too many tables at once and not actually thinking (I called someone's EP limp-reraise all-in with 99....yeah pretty bad). If I'm going to make any serious effort to play NL, whether it be cash games or tournaments, I'm really going to have to make more of an effort to eliminate those one-time mistakes. In limit, it's often a bigger mistake to fold than to call with a half-way decent hand. In NL, the exact opposite is true.

(Edit: I just had a friend email me, basically saying, "you make it sound like you multi-tabled the MTT!" Haha...no. I was playing too many tables, but the tables were random SnGs, tournaments and cash games. I only had one table of the actual big tourney going. No multi-accounting here.)

Anyways, here's one hand from Sunday's tournament that I thought was interesting. I may have actually misplayed every single street. But I think every street is quite debateable. I'm certianly open to any and all opinions.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t60 (10 handed)

MP2 (t4765)

MP3 (t2334)

CO (t4738)

Button (t5267)

SB (t6145)

BB (t4585)

Hero (t4480)

UTG+1 (t6487)

UTG+2 (t4030)

MP1 (t7169)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Js, Jc.

Hero raises to t120, 1 fold, UTG+2 raises to t220, 6 folds, BB calls t160, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t690) 7h, 2h, Td (3 players)

BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+2 bets t300, BB folds, Hero raises to t800, UTG+2 calls t500.

Turn: (t2290) 6d (2 players)

Hero bets t1000, UTG+2 calls t1000.

River: (t4290) 8d (2 players)

Hero checks, UTG+2 bets t2010 (all-in), Hero folds.

Final Pot: t4290

Main Pot: t4290 (t4290), returned to UTG+2.


Results below:

UTG+2 doesn't show.

Outcome: UTG+2 wins t4290.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Duck said...

well, whatever a ducky 2 cents might be worth...here goes...
I dont have any problems with the pre-flop, or on the flop play, on the turn, i think you should have bet more, about 3/4ths to the 100%of the pot. What did you expect the utg+2 to have? QQ KK AA, set of 10's? Did you have any info on the player?

maybe he had AK suited for a flush and called your check raise with nothing? maybe you could have check raised the pot as well...

this is why I need a mentor, hahaha

now I get to wait to see how the real players criticize/comment your play.

quack quack

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Evan said...

Where is the hand converter these days?

6:55 PM  
Blogger Pilot said...

The reraise preflop screams high pocket pair to me. And the constant reraising without pushing all in leads me to believe he's not afraid of overcards, making AA a distinct possibility. Just my two cents.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Duck said...

why would AA just go all in at the end? that doesnt make sense to me. if you had AA wouldnt you raise the turn when all kinds of scary shit just hit?
Wouldnt it be likely to check it down at the end with QQ KK or AA? Maybe I am leaving money on the table, but if the board was 3 flushed and 4 to a straight, wouldnt AA just turn it up?

E,
Would you bet the river in your 80/160 game if you were utg+2 with AA? Would that even be a value bet at that point?

7:18 PM  
Blogger eric said...

At a limit game? I'm betting that river 90+% of the time if I'm UTG+2 with AA. Guy raised preflop, checkraised the flop, led the turn. He has an overpair or AT or whatever way too often there. I'm certainly betting for value since guys will call with all that. Heck, online they'll call with AK/AQ/AJ.

That aside, at a NL cash game I'm much, much more inclined to check through that river. I think you do bring up some good points, duck.

Evan,

The hand converter I like is here. There's one that displays actual cards rather than just listing "Jc" and so forth. That one's here.
And example of a converted hand using that one is here.

I wanted to use that second one but I got an error message when trying to convert the hand, and being as lazy as I am, instead of trying to figure out what might be wrong I just went with the old standby.

10:57 PM  
Blogger estonb said...

I would probably shut down after he calls my flop bet, in a MTT.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I don't like putting half your stack into a hand and then folding on the river. Why not reraise pf, fold if he pushes. If not that, then why the large bet on the turn? If he's calling the flop, what is the turn bet going to do?

3:29 PM  
Anonymous duck said...

the check raise on the flop was a small raise

pot was ~700, utg+2 bets 300, weak bet itself, hero calls the 300 putting pot @1300, and raises 500...how can you fold to that?

1800 in 500 to call? (3.6 to 1?) I am not too good with odds, hehe...but those are good for calling with a hell of a lot of hands

3:50 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

The minimum raise UTG probably defines your hand too well as TT-AA. A really good player might show up with 8h9h there, but I'd prefer more of a standard raise UTG with all your hands, giving you a slightly bigger range (maybe AQ, AK, 66-AA.) The small raise from UTG+2 is a mistake and tells you two things - he is a weak player, and he has a monster hand. A pro raises more in that spot or coldcalls. His minraise both discourages further action and gives you excellent pot odds to play. He has QQ-AA and maybe AK if he's really bad. Your call defines your hand as pretty much TT-QQ. Strong enough to minraise, not strong enough to reraise. But again, he has given you pot odds to call with everything you raise with there, even if you were making a play.

When the flop comes giving you an overpair I like you betting out about 2/3 pot. That allows you to get away from it if he brings the heat, saving you some money. The check/raise gives you the same info, but more expensively. What can he give you? A set either bets out or check/calls waiting to raise on the turn, and he beats everything else you might have.

I'm not sure I like your bet out on the turn after the check/raise. You check/raised the flop, why not check again making him think you might do it again, and encouraging a check behind? Free cards aren't a concern, since you're either way ahead or way behind and that's not going to change unless an A or K comes on the river, and to that card you can easily check/fold.

On the river you have to think "what can I beat?" A desperation bluff with AK and just about nothing else. Maybe he shows up with AK 10% of the time, but a fold seems automatic. It may seem that he is value betting very thinly at NL, but I don't see how he can put you on a hand that he can't beat, and your JJ-QQ might just pay him off if he's read for a bluff.

I really enjoy your blog, keep up the good work!

12:39 AM  
Blogger eric said...

So yeah, I wasn't happy with my UTG minraise. Minraising in general is something I never do on purpose--if I do it, it's a result of playing limit cash games on the side.

But this time I did it. The reraise like that is almost always a pair I think. Could be AK/AQ, I guess.

There aren't many pocket pairs I'm beating by that river.

I actually think a desperation bluff by AK/AQ is quite possible on the river, though; maybe he missed his flush draw. I think 95% of the time, AA-QQ is checking behind that river. So while his hand range pretty much kills me, his going all-in on the river actually takes out a few of the hands that beat me, making me actually look a little better against his range.

In the end, I figured he either hit his set, or straight with 99, or hit a backdoor flush and so despite getting about 3:1, I couldn't legitimiately have him figured for UI AK 25% of the time there and so I had to fold.

The correct play for me would probably have been to either push the turn or check-fold.

But, ultimately, I really dunno.

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home