Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The year isn't quite over yet, but I've already chosen a goal for 2006. Okay, I have a few, but besides the usual ones (make lots of money, improve my game, move up) there's one that is brand spanking new.

I am going to make real, focused effort to play in more live tournament events. How often in my life am I going to be so free of responsibilities that I can run off to Aruba, or Paris, or on a Caribbean cruise to hang out and play poker?

I'm less interested in the other, stateside events, but I guess depending on how comfortable I am I may make efforts to make it out for those. No offense to the place, but Tunica, MS is not somewhere I'm exactly yearning to go.

So, online satellites, here I come! Focus #1 will be the Party Poker Million V (the Caribbean cruise). #2: Play in a few WSOP events. #3: Grand Prix de Paris and finally #4: UB Aruba Classic.

I figure I have my best shot at the limit tournaments, but I'm willing to try for NL events that are in locations I'd like to be anyways. I might be in Europe in late July anyways, so Paris is a good choice. And who doesn't want to go to Aruba? Er, I'll refrain from the obvious off-color jokes about that.

I'll be trying to do these as cheaply as possible. Party runs $162 (technically $150+12) super-satellites for the PPM V. But that was too expensive for me. Yes, I played a $22 SnG to win my entry into the super-sat my very first try. If I finish in the top 1/90th of players in the super, I win a PPM V package, worth $12,700. So we'll see. Attempt #1 is this Friday.

I'd put a little permanent blurb somewhere on this page, but doing anything I can't just accomplish with a simple click on blogger is way more work than I'm willing to partake, so I'll just post random updates at the bottom of entries (since most people probably don't give a shit anyways).

Goal #1: PPM V, value $12,700. Total Spent: $22. Status: Super-sat #1 this Friday!
Goals #2-4: One thing at a time! No progress yet.

12 Comments:

Blogger fairnbalncd said...

Wish I had it to do all over again myself... A wife, a mortgage and three kids by the time I was 24. Get after it threebet!

8:18 AM  
Blogger ilico said...

Get in there and good luck...and I give a shit. always good to have a goal and get it!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous StrangeNuts said...

Only a couple more steps and we'll get to see Mike Sexton analyze your play. :)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Playing these satellites while not playing other tables or something seems like a huge opportunity cost here. Why not play more expensive satellites?

1:06 AM  
Blogger eric said...

Only a couple more steps and we'll get to see Mike Sexton analyze your play.

As if he doesn't laugh enough as it is.

Playing these satellites while not playing other tables or something seems like a huge opportunity cost here. Why not play more expensive satellites?

I'm making sure not to replace any actual "money-making" poker time with satellites. I'm playing them at times I don't normally play poker anyways, when I don't want to be playing for higher stakes with higher stress anyways--Mondays and Tuesdays when I'm normally off, or just when I'm online doing other stuff like checking email, espn.com, 2+2 or whatever.

Even the bigger super-satellites I'll try to divert away from prime playing time. That super-sat I have on Friday I may just put off till Monday since I think I can save my credit for the Monday super-sat, instead.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sdf

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger Clemens, best ever? Nobody was better than Pedro Martiniez in his prime. Just listen to wikipedia "In 1999 and 2000 Martinez allowed 288 hits, 597 strikeouts, 69 walks and a 1.90 ERA in 430 innings. Some statisticians believe that in the circumstances—with lefty-friendly Fenway Park as his home field, in a league with a DH, during the highest offensive period in baseball history—this performance represents the peak for any pitcher in baseball history. In 2000, Pedro Martinez's WHIP was 0.74, breaking a 77-year-old record set by Walter Johnson. The American League slugged just .259 against him. Martinez became the only starting pitcher to have more than twice as many strikeouts in a season (284) than hits allowed (128)."

2:56 PM  
Blogger eric said...

sdf

wtf?

Roger Clemens, best ever?

yup.

Nobody was better than Pedro Martiniez in his prime.

I'd probably agree with this. However, overall greatness is determined by a player's entire career, not just short-term dominance. Otherwise, Dennis Eckersley would be the "greatest ever" thanks to a 1990 season that even Pedro can't touch.

Anyways, just for the record there are many other places I'd rather hold that debate than here. This site is a good start--they have a "who's the greatest pitcher ever" type debate every few weeks or so.

Just in case people are thinking "woah, that's out of left field," the poster is referring to my sponsorship of this page.

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Evan said...

I know your other goals. Mwahahahaha.


Also, I agree with everything Eric said about pitchers. Martinez was unreal, but only for a shortish timeframe.

1:56 AM  
Anonymous cruise said...

Hi love the blog............want to swap links?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Shawn T Lippert said...

Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional
Cruise Resources for family, caribbean, Bahama and Mexico cruises if you or your readers are interested.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site film editing schools

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home