Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Woohoo! Not only did I win some money playing 1/2 and 2/5 NL yesterday at the new Caesar's Palace poker room, but I got this:




Don't everyone get jealous, now.

As for Caesar's poker room, holy shit did a lot of wishful thinking go into that one. They had lists of interest going for 15/30 and 30/60 7CS, and 20/40, 40/80 and 50/100 holdem. Oh and 25/50 and 50/100 NLH. Then there was the second room with about a gajillion tables--all empty. Over-under on when that second room becomes, oh I dunno, a restaurant? 6 months.

The people running the room obviously have little experience actually running poker rooms. Everyone from the floors to the cage personnel were greener than Kentucky bluegrass (thanks to my horse-nut friend for that saying). Getting on the waiting list took a nice long time as the floorman was still trying to learn how the computerized waiting lists work. Switching tables was a fascinating new concept to another floor person. Cashing out was an ordeal as instead of counting one stack of chips and sizing up the others, the cage person felt it necessary to count each and every chip in each and every stack (these were all brand new chips so they aligned perfectly). And finally, the room is hidden! It's next to Pure, but the only evidence of its existence is a sign saying simply, "Poker" hanging on the wall. There's no rail whatsoever--one has to walk down a short hallway to gain entrance into the room. They certainly won't be attracting all that many casual, drop-in players.

Overall, it seems to be a very poorly conceived room.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Evan said...

Okay, why'd you get that?

3:24 AM  
Anonymous jason said...

Eric, are there any left? I want to make a flava-flav style medallion out of mine. I'm sure my game will improve once I do. Wish I would've moved to Vegas :).

7:51 AM  
Blogger eric said...

Evan,

How could I not get it?? My life is now complete. My only regret is having not ordered more.

Jason,

Stars actually had the oversized Chris Moneymaker Flava-Flav Style Commemorative medallion--replete with clock-face--but much like the man himself, it was only a one-time deal.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Evan said...

Did you get this from Stars or Caesars?

7:30 PM  
Blogger eric said...

Stars. 1500 points.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I was talking about two separate events, 1) receiving medallion (pure silver!) in mail and 2) going to play poker at Caesar's.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Peter B said...

Hi Eric,

I popped into Caesar's on the opening night, and my interpretation was exactly the same as yours -- with one addition. They have the Harrah's rake of 10% to $40. Caesar's has little chance of attracting players from fire hazard Bellagio or "Don't bother me about going on the waiting list, I'm working" Mirage.

The announcer while I was there had the most awful shrill voice that I have ever heard - my ears started to bleed after a few minutes.

The whole affair reeks to me of half-heartedness. Far from being a "dedicated room", Harrah's could turn it into a PaiGow room, or buffet, or crack joint, or whatever, within a weekend.

Notwithstanding the problems at Bellagio, it has to be the place at which to play 15-30 and above. For 4-8 it looks to me as if the MGM is the best bet (if you remember to take lots of warm clothing for the night time games), although I liked the comps from the Wynn (buffet the size of a football pitch and a line pass obtained, saving a half-hour wait. What is it with you Americans and queues? Are you addicted to standing in line? :-))

Pete

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home