Monday, October 10, 2005

Bad news and good news.

I got killed in the 40/80 Omaha/8 game last night. Once again, I got a reminder about why I hate limit Omaha/8. There's just so much less opportunity for creativity. Of course, it doesn't help that I try to get "creative" anyways and of course get killed. I also need to learn that if you have the second nuts and get raised, fold. Even heads up. I pay off way too much.

But. That all pales in comparison to the good news, which is that the monkey seems to be off my back. Okay, that's a good way to get it right back on my back. But for now at least the downswing is over. I peaked August 28th and then hit a downswing through the first half of September, and then bounced around up and down, slowly climbing until finally on October 7 I once again surpassed my August 28th mark.

This past week I hit a nice rush and actually zoomed past it. It's good to be hitting cards once again, last night notwithstanding. Downswings and long break-even streaks suck, but if there's one good thing I can say about them, it's that they really get me examining my play--and I mean going over it with a fine-toothed comb--and so I always come out a better player than I was before.

I feel that I'm a much, much better player now than I was just in late August, and so despite the 40-day break-even streak it may very well have been worth it.

Now I just hope I didn't just jinx myself into having another one.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Evan said...

Where's the Astros analysis?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Send It! said...

just discovered your blog. good to see a non-famous pro give an honest assessment of both winning and losing streaks. goin straight to the top of my reading list. do you ever play tournaments?

4:05 PM  
Blogger eric said...

haha, Astros, Astros. What is there to say? Good game. Ok, great game. I'll enjoy it now, since they're probably going to get spanked in the NLCS.

Speaking of baseball, any ideas for what I can put here? Maybe what I have is good enough.

Send it, thanks for the kind words. I rarely play tournaments. Every few weeks I'll do a few sit'n'goes, and maybe once a month I'll try an MTT, but that's it. I hate tournaments even more than I hate Omaha.

And speaking of Omaha, there's a pretty funny piece on Omaha making the rounds online. I'm sure lots of people have probably already seen it, but in case not, it can be found here.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Stu H said...

Eric,

Only discovered your blog yesterday and really enjoyed reading about your tales from live and online play. I think you're a good writer and you give your reader a great sense for what's going on in the card room or at the table.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading your blog in the future. I've added your blog to my own links list if you don't mind.

BTW, that call you made with only 9 high on that double-paired board a while ago - awesome, and any good player, had they thought about it, would understand why you made that call.

Stu

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home